Monday, May 16, 2016

Life-Sized Word Search #2

My wife thinks I should call this "Living Word Search" instead. What do you think? Either way, I'm doing this vocabulary scavenger hunt where I look for real-life examples of words. This past week I was looking for words that started with aa- or ab-

I should have mentioned last post: I can search for words but I can't provoke/prompt them. In other words, it's not a game of "catchphrase" where I'm trying to get my friends to say bizarre words. Here's how I did:

a capella: This was an easy one to find. The dad of one of my best friends growing up would emcee a cappella events. So I still have one of the cd's my friend made me which has a fantastic mix of songs (from groups like Da Vinci's Notebook, The Bobs, Glad). Oh, and that childhood friend of mine (David Senft) went on to be in a band himself that's definitely worth checking out called Darlingside. Here's my favorite song of theirs called "Terrible Things":


a priori: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. (I'm also counting a posteriori for this one). In High School I went through a phase where I wanted to absorb as much philosophy as I could. At the time this book made a big impact on me. I wonder what it would be like to re-read it now? Hmm.

abduct/abduction: On a recent SNL (with Brie Larson) there was a hilarious skit about alien abduction. Kate McKinnon is one of the funniest cast members that show has ever had. Here is the first time they did the skit this year (with Ryan Gosling):


abnegation: from Divergent the young adult fiction book

abuse: spoken by someone I know as they described a situation

Near hits: mollusk instead of abalone. I almost got 'aboriginal' when I was telling someone I had too many musical instruments at home. They said, "Like what?", I said "didgeridoo," they then asked what a didgeridoo was. So yeah, close one.

So a slow first week, five words. Which means 5 new words join at the bottom of my search list: acacia, academe/academia/academic, acajou, acalculia, acanthamoeba. (Hmm, should scientific words count as 'jargon'?)

No comments:

Post a Comment