Friday, May 8, 2009

What a great idea!

The world is full of wonderful ideas. Here are a few I've discovered lately:

http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/
This is brilliant way Google found to both entertain us and help their own company. I'll just paste below the description from their site:

"Welcome to Google Image Labeler, a feature of Google Search that allows you to label images and help improve the quality of Google's image search results. How does it work?
You'll be randomly paired with a partner who's online and using the feature. Over a two-minute period, you and your partner will:

* View the same set of images.
* Provide as many labels as possible to describe each image you see.
* Receive points when your label matches your partner's label. The number of points will depend on how specific your label is.
* See more images until time runs out.

After time expires, you can explore the images you've seen and the websites where those images were found. And we'll show you the points you've earned throughout the session."



http://inventorspot.com/
This is just a really fun website for anyone fascinated by the art of invention. I mean, I no joke just read about a zero gravity micro car, basically a remote control car you can drive along your walls!!! I kid you not. If that's not awesome, I don't know what is.



http://www.blogtv.com/
This isn't really a new, ground-breaking thing. I just felt like including it because earlier this week I watched one of my favorite authors (John Green) reading poetry and fielding questions over this service. The window on the left will show the live video feed of the person while anyone watching can talk in the chatroom on the right. I'm sure most of the shows are lame, but I know my author was entertaining!



http://www.hotel626.com/
This is by far one of the most elaborate and creative advertisements I've ever seen. The site was put together by Doritos and is only "open" from 6PM-6AM. Basically you're led through a frightening journey out of a haunted hotel. Thank you, Doritos!



youtube.com
Okay, I'm throwing this on the list because it's RIDICULOUS if you really stop and think about it -- we live in an age where you can pull up a website, do a quick search for just about any recorded thing on the face of the planet, and be watching it in milliseconds. This is absolutely insane!!!! We've already learned to take it for granted, but just stop for a second and realize how absolutely insane this is!!!!
We ARE the future. wait, what(?), that doesn't even make sense. But here's a simple test of how expansive youtube is --- have you ever done a search for a song you wanted to hear and NOT found both a studio and live version on youtube? Whenever I search and can't find anything I'm SHOCKED. Haha, just goes to show.



http://www.readatwork.com/
Here is a really cleverly designed website for, as the url states, a person to read while at work. Even if you don't read, click on the site real quick and appreciate the look of it... it's pretty cool. Right now I'm reading Emily Dickinson Poetry that looks just like a formal work powerpoint.

5 comments:

  1. Also, here's a site for ideas that weren't fully invented/properly engineered. It's pretty interesting:

    http://goodexperience.com/tib/

    ReplyDelete
  2. YouTube is a pretty cool creation. I usually post my concert footage on my account and watch music videos and film trailers.

    www.reelartsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. readatwork is SO cool!! Wow. And the google image labeler is fun to do- I feel this exciting pressure every time I try to get through them all within the time limits, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I clicked on that readatwork one and basically thought a virus had overtaken my computer...until I looked to the left at the folders. Haha. Pretty sweet stuff!

    ReplyDelete