Saturday, May 3, 2014

Rage against God

Christopher Hitchens was the charismatic and witty leader of a movement called the New Atheists. His debates are fascinating to watch and it only takes a few moments to see why he was the poster boy for militant anti-theism. For example, just watch the 4-minute opening statements of these panelists (Christopher was pitted against 4 esteemed theologians/professors).


I've recently been thinking about Christopher's struggles because I just finished a book by his famous brother, Peter Hitchens. Peter is an accomplished journalist who is just as articulate and brilliant as his sibling. What makes the story of these two brothers so interesting is that Peter was also an anti-theist until, in his adult life, he came to a powerful realization that Jesus is indeed the risen Christ.

Am I intrigued by these brothers because I also have a brother who seems the polar opposite of me? Just consider how my brother runs a successful fashion blog and is an incredible visual artist. I, on the other hand, wear clothes until they fall apart (though my wife is quickly changing that bad habit) and can barely draw stick figures. It's almost comical how evenly split we seem in life's pursuits, each being the complement of the other.

Regardless of how different brothers are, they love each other. At least I know I love my brother, and I believe Peter and Christopher (though their relationship was at many times rocky) still cared for one another.

The way I love is defined and motivated by one thing more than any other: the more I love someone, the more I want to tell them about Jesus. Why? Because Jesus is the redeemer.

Just like the panelists share in the above video, Jesus reveals the meaning of life. He is historically proven to be a man who resurrected from the dead, which he claimed is proof of his divinity. And following Jesus leads to an endless series of fun, fulfilling discoveries.

So today I've going to lift up a prayer for every pair of siblings who have differences. And as Mother's Day approaches, I pray for all families who will discuss matters of faith around the kitchen table or family room. May their conversations bring them deeper into relationship. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment